We just built a new release of MobaXterm (version 8.4)!
MobaXterm is your ultimate toolbox for remote computing: in a single Windows application, it provides loads of functions that are tailored for programmers, webmasters, IT administrators and pretty much all users who need to handle their remote jobs in a more simple fashion. MobaXterm provides all the important remote network tools (SSH, X11, RDP, VNC, FTP, MOSH, SFTP, SCP, …) to Windows desktop, in a single portable exe file which works out of the box.
In this new version, we added experimental support for the SCP protocol in the SSH-browser: it means that you can now select “SCP” protocol (instead of SFTP) in your SSH session settings and MobaXterm will use the SCP protocol in order to graphically browse your remote server.
This new remote SSH-browser implementation has many advantages:
- SSH-browser does not open a new SSH connection anymore, but makes use of the existing terminal connection instead (SSH multiplexing)
- if you use "OTP" (One-time password) or "2-steps authentication" mechanisms, then the SSH-browser will not ask for a new password
- SSH-browser is not "connected" anymore and thus it stays alive as long as the terminal SSH connection is enabled
- transfer speeds have been significantly improved
- if SSH-browser cannot connect using SFTP protocol, it will try SCP protocol instead
- "Follow terminal path" feature has been improved thanks to SSH multiplexing
- charset detection (UTF-8, ISO8859-1, ...) has been improved for remote files/folders
We also improved terminal speed with strong optimizations. In fact, in previous (8.3) version, some users have encountered slowness issues caused by recent support of TrueColors. We managed to fix these slowness issues while preserving TrueColors in terminal.
Some existing features have also been improved: git commands are now properly colored (thanks to a modification in “less” command), we improved detection of running sub-process when starting or stopping MobaXterm, …
Here is the full changelog:
- New feature: added "SCP" protocol for the graphical SSH-browser: MobaXterm can now use SCP in order to browse your remote server content. This experimental feature can be activated from your SSH session settings.
- Improvement: accelerated terminal display even in TrueColors mode
- Improvement: with SCP protocol, SSH-browser does not open a new SSH connection anymore, but makes use of the existing terminal connection instead (SSH multiplexing)
- Improvement: with SCP protocol, SSH-browser is not "connected" anymore and thus it stays alive as long as the terminal SSH connection is enabled
- Improvement: greatly improved SSH-browser transfer speed when using the new SCP protocol
- Improvement: if SSH-browser cannot connect using SFTP protocol, it will try SCP protocol instead
- Improvement: renamed "SFTP browser" to "SSH-browser"
- Improvement: added a "Flicker Free" setting for MobaXterm main window
- Improvement: added color support to "less" and "git" commands
- Improvement: improved detection of running sub-process when starting or stopping MobaXterm
- Improvement: starting a session from a file now opens it in a new tab if an existing instance of MobaXterm already exists
- Improvement: added "OpenIniFile" command which allows to directly open MobaXterm.ini file from local terminal
- Improvement: you can now clear the screen AND the scrollback buffer by using the "Clear scrollback" right-click menu entry on any terminal
- Improvement: using the "newtab" commandline switch now sets MobaXterm running instance to foreground
- Bugfix: fixed a potential issue with open remote files through SSH when multiple instances of MobaXterm were opened and a file with same name is open on 2 different remote servers
- Bugfix: fixed a vulnerability in "MoTTY" PuTTY-based terminal (CVE-2015-5309)
- Bugfix: fixed the filter field in "MobApt" package manager which displays "Filter packages" instead of "Filter sessions"
- Bugfix: fixed log file names which did not properly mention remote hostname in case a SSH gateway has been defined
- Bugfix: fixed fullscreen mode on multi-monitors environment when 2nd monitor coordinates were negative
- Bugfix: fixed bug on "paste" command which did not work properly with Windows files
- Bugfix: fixed a bug with commandline SSH when default SSH username chosen in global settings contains special characters
- Bugfix: fixed an issue in FTP sessions: when removing a folder, MobaXterm tried to perform a CWD in the removed folder after its deletion
You can download this new release from MobaXterm website.